Entrepreneur Magazine has named Tucson’s startup scene among the “New Hot Spots” for entrepreneurs.
In the article’s August 2013 issue, author and Startup Genome co-founder Shane Reiser cites several factors in naming Tucson to it’s list, chief among those is the communities’ efforts at developing a culture of collaboration saying “all community players – investors, universities and goverment agencies – are involved from the start”.
Reiser specifically cites Startup Tucson and the intentional creation of a Startup Pipeline as an important addition to the ecosystem calling it an “entrepreneurial conveyor belt”.
The article also cites as evidence of a growing startup ecosystem the fact that the Tucson investment group the Desert Angels were among the top angel groups in the nation as well as a recent IBM acquisition of Knowledge Computing/I2, founded by UA Professor and local entprepreneur Dr. Hsinchun Chen.
The report follows other recent favorable national news that Tucson has received including:
- Bloomberg Business Week’s profile of Desert Angel’s Chairman Curtis Gunn
- Gunn’s recent election to the board of directors for the national Angel Capital Association
- Hipstercrite’s recent article favorably comparing Tucson to an early Austin, TX.
To get involved in Tucson’s startup scene checkup the upcoming events including:
- Code for Tucson, this weekend (register)
- What is Startup Weekend? (register)
- School of Startup – 6-8 Graders (register)
- Startup Drinks at The Hive, Aug 13th (register)
- Startup Day at UA, Sept 4th (save the date)
- Startup Weekend, Sept 20-22nd (register)
- Startup Shark Tank, Sept 22nd (register)
- Lean Launchpad, Sept 28-Nov 6 (info coming soon)
- Idea Funding, Oct 24th (website)
- Make Tucson (Tucson’s first ever Maker Fair), Nov 16th (website)
The full Entrepreneur Magazine article is available on news stands now or you can read the Tucson excerpt here: